Monday, June 26, 2017

Casi di Cura, Cockroaches, Caldo, Cleaning, Cibo

Ciao guys✌๐Ÿผ

I hope summer is going well!!! It's mind blowing that it's July this week. Non ci credo!! This week was one for the books. 

Between transfers and all the crazy exchanges and zone conferences this month, my comp and I somehow were OUT of money this week and we don't get paid until this coming weekend. Well example #364638292946 of God providing for the missionaries: we got 4 meal appointments this week(!!!!!!) Let's put this into perspective for you... we had a total of 2 this entire past 6-week transfer and 4 in this past week alone. #blessed. 

Funny story: We had a lunch appointment this week with one of our friends and she had us help her finish making the food in the kitchen. You guys know me and how I'm a huuuge germaphobe (thanks mom) but this lady had COCKROACHES alllllll over the kitchen and on the spoons she was using to make our food๐Ÿ˜ณ. The mission has calmed me down a lot so I just didn't say anything and smiled and casually tried to kill cockroaches when she looked away. I cleaned up the kitchen while Sorella Zapata helped her finish cooking and the lady kept telling me I'm "turning into a domestic Italian housewife" hahaha. She asked me to say the blessing on the food and let's just say I've never said such a sincere prayer on the food in my entire life hahahaha. 

Miracle: So I called this old English course student a few weeks ago after I found her number on an old area book potential sheet. She told us she can't come to corso anymore but that we can come see her at work sometime! Bingooo! So we went to see her and guess where she works?! She owns a little assisted living center!!!!!! Anyone who knows me knows how much I looove old people after working as a CNA in high school. I was happier than when I ate my first napoli pizza... okay maybe not, but close. They had a piano sitting there so I got to play some music for them and they were loving it. Thanks again for forcing me to take piano lessons all those years Mom ๐Ÿ’• But we're organizing an activity with all their grandchildren and the elders this week so we're excited. Stay tuned. Catania takes the Casa di Cura.

This week I was kind of having one of those "poor me" moments. Nothing happened that triggered it, I was just being a downer about everything--our lack of investigators, it being hotter than ever, having no money cuz it's the end of the month, exhausted, stressed about going home, haha you name it ... Pretty sure every missionary has been there. But we went to an appointment and beforehand I said a little prayer to myself to be able to get over myself and look outward. It's amazing what serving people can do! It can change your entirrreee day around 100%. If you're ever feeling bad for yourself, the best thing you can do is what President Hinckley's dad told him when he was a missionary, "Forget yourself and go to work!" I have that quote on my desk and I think about it all the time. The Savior never sat around and felt sorry for himself, He looked around and tried to help others. That's where true joy comes from :) 

Another thing that hit me this week... we can't control a lot of things that happen in missionary work. We can't control if people come to church or if they stop smoking or if the bus passes on time... But we CAN control our attitudes. As long as we do our best, God will help us out and pour down blessings on us, sometimes in ways we aren't expecting. We just have to look for His hand in all things because it IS there. I promise :) 

D&C 123:17 Therefore, dearly beloved brethren, let us ​​​cheerfully​ ​​​do​ all things that lie in our power; and then may we stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the ​​​salvation​ of God, and for his arm to be revealed.

Talk to you next Tuesday! We have Zone Conference in Palermo on Monday :) Happy 4th!!! ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ 

Con amore,
Sorella Hess

Via Genova 27 
Catania 95127 
Italia

Le foto:
Last P-day at Santa Maria la Scala. 
Some of our cute friends at the assisted living center
Cool church from last P-day in Acireale
After our meal appointment with some cute members (not the cockroach one๐Ÿ˜Š)
Bella Sicilia 
Dyyyying from this humidity hahaha. I will never complain about being hot in Utah ever again. I didn't know what hot was until I got here. 







No comments:

Post a Comment