Tuesday, May 30, 2017

happy happy happy

Buondì!!

I love Catania. I love Sicily. I love my companion. I love my
district. I love the gospel. I love being a missionary. And most
importantly I love my Savior. Just so happy right now.

Busy week! We spent Monday and Tuesday in Siracusa on scambio with the
sorelle there. I was with Sorella Ferre from Sandy Utah :) She reminds
me of Audrey haha so it felt like I was with my friends at home :) We
had a blast! We did about 7 hours of finding and it felt like we
talked to about the entire city of Siracusa but we got some great
potentials!!!

I met a crazy older man the other day on the bus (shocker). He made us
laugh pretty hard. EVERYONE tries to speak in English to us even if

they only know how to say "how are you" and then they switch into
Italian or dialect. Well this guy was about 6 inches from my face and
tried to convince me he is a dog hahaha. But the only word he knew in
English was "dog" hahaha. "Sono un dog." Over and over again hahaha.
He was barking at us and even lifted his leg and pretended to pee
hahahah. Can't say I've had that one before 😂 BUT, here's the cool
part. This had been going on for about 15 minutes and I was just dying
trying not to laugh. EVERYONE on the bus was overhearing this 50yr old
barking at 2 American girls and just dying laughing. So this guy in
his 20's was overhearing the "I'm a dog" conversation and came to the
rescue and started talking to us so the crazy guy couldn't. He was way
cool and we got his number for the elders. Thankful for that crazy guy
for getting the elders a new contact that is actually sane hahaha :)

We had Stake Conference so all the members from all of Sicily came to
Catania (including all 50 missionaries in Sicily). It was so awesome!
Elder Charles from England from the 70 came and spoke to us and my
companion and I got to talk to him for a few minutes afterwards. He
and his wife are awesome!

Zone Conference!!!!!!! Holy cow. I cannot believe we just had my 2nd
to last zone conference. I got my departure packet which kind of made
things feel more real. We talked about being "all in," our purpose as
missionaries, and our divine identity. It was amaaaazing. I loved it.
I just wish time would stop for a while :) We had a CRAZY weekend with
10 sisters in our apartment that should only be able to fit 3 or 4
hahaha and they're still with us today for a Zone pday so it's been
fun!

Last night we had a zone blitz and we all did finding together in
Centro. Some people were singing hymns, others were talking to people,
some were drawing with chalk and we had sooo much success from it!
Here are some of the cool stories:

I stopped this family and they responded to me in Spanish and told me
they're from the Dominican Republic. I called one of the new greenies
in our zone over who's from there too and it turns out they're FROM
THE SAME CITY. Sooo cool. We can understand Spanish pretty well
because it's so similar to Italian and they can understand us too so
it was really amazing! Anziano Sanchez was explaining the Book of
Mormon in Spanish and me in Italian but we could all communicate! The
Gift of Tongues is real! They promised us they will come to English
course tonight so hopefully we see some cool miracles from this
family!

I talked to another woman named Gabriella who has 2 kids and just told
me she feels like something is missing in her life. The other
missionaries were singing and she said as she walked by she just felt
so much peace. I got to talk to her for a good while and asked her if
she had ever prayed before and she said not since she was a young
child in catholic school. I explained to her that she can have a
personal relationship with God again and taught her how we pray in our
church. She said she would do it because she felt so "tranquil" while
talking to me :) The Spirit is so cool guys!!!! Hopefully we will be
able to meet with her again & follow up :)

This week I read the talk "What Lack I Yet" and have been trying to
focus on specific things I need to work on. I went through the
Christlike Attribute Challenge in chapter 6 of PMG and it helped me
think of some goals I want to work on :) It's a humbling experience
but definitely helps us strive to become more like the Savior. I
invite you guys to do it too! It's awesome. I love this quote by Elder
Bednar, “Most of us clearly understand that the Atonement is for
sinners. I am not so sure, however, that we know and understand that
the Atonement is also for saints--for good men and women who are
obedient, worthy, and conscientious and who are striving to become
better.”

I love you alllll. Sorry this was forever long--so much has happened
since last Monday! Hope you all have a great week :)

Con amore,
Sorella Hess

Via Genova 27
Catania 95127
Italia

Le foto:
Sorella Ferre aka my fav. Also Siracusa is beeeautiful
Pranzo with Dana and Agata and their cute kids
Reunited and it feels soo goooood. So fun seeing all our fav people at
stake conference!!!
Zone blitzes
Waiting at bus stops = serving in Catania.
Cutest zone ever
Another reason I love Catania. We run here every morning :) blesssssed
Zone frisbeeee today









No comments:

Post a Comment